Thursday, July 22

Sirens

The organs that are joined in me create a sound. I can hear it as I try to sleep at night. Beyond the simplicity of the heartbeat, I can hear each part of my body performing its function. But not like you might imagine, the crude squelching noises one can hear when they press their head against a lover’s stomach in those quiet moments such people share. I hear a hum. An audible hum. Whilst it is very quiet, I can make it out if I concentrate long enough. And it’s not just a single hum, like a fridge or a microwave or white noise, but different frequencies creating a harmonic sound. Almost like guitar feedback, but so quiet and harmonious… almost like running a damp finger around the rim of a wineglass. Each part of my body has slightly more or slightly less water, but these other-worldly sounds fit together regardless of their actual frequency. They just fit. When I am well, I can feel these notes resonating in every cavity of my body, up my bones and my spine and into the base of my brain. They form a chord, a harmonic sound that soothes me to sleep. I imagine the things making the sounds as small glass orbs, suspended within some dark space within my chest, rotating slowly and making their song gently and peacefully. And when I hear this noise I think it is the sound of my soul deep inside of me, soothing me to sleep.

And when I am low I can’t hear a thing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely. beauty and sadness.

July 22, 2004 8:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love this line

"...the crude squelching noises one can hear when they press their head against a lover’s stomach in those quiet moments such people share."

...beautiful

July 27, 2004 5:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home