Friday, August 6

Never Caged

You are perched above me, looking around
And your voice… your voice
It is a song more ancient than these walls
It is something pure and beautiful

I built a box and nailed it up for you
So I could watch your children grow
I saw one fall and never get up
And I saw you turn away

The sun is out, and you dip and turn the wind
You bathe and you rest, perched once more
Once I was sure your voice was hoarse
But I waited and you sang true again

And next year, will you return?

I would hate to find you next to the road
If I did, I would pick you up gently, so as not to bend a feather
I would place you in an open box in case you were stunned
And leave you somewhere high and safe

But if you were not to fly again
And never to sing
I would lift you in my memory forever
Crudely I would whistle your song, over and over again

Not that it would matter to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger tzb said...

Thanks :)

September 04, 2004 11:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home